Spain Portugal Morocco: Lisbon (2)

View of the city of Lisbon from Eduardo VII park. Feeling lazy so I took this picture from the bus.

Afternoon excursion to Estoril and Cascais. On our way there we got to drive under the old Roman Aqueducts which was quite cool. Unfortunately, I didn't really get to enjoy this optional very much coz I came down with motion sickness (the one and only time on this trip) and I just felt terrible in Cascais so I didn't really take many pictures, or was interested in taking pictures....

View of the coastal area from the bus.... A little bit about Cascais... it's like the beach/coastal hangout area for the rich. During WW2, when Hitler was conquering Europe, many royal families took refuge here including the current king of Spain, who went to school nearby as well.

Restaurant when we had lunch in. Very interesting coastal theme restaurant with nets hanging from the ceiling... It was raining that afternoon as well, so all the more I didn't want to venture out in the cold rainy weather...

Well, but in the end I did it.... we had too much time to kill in cascais and I ventured out slowly with my camera and umbrella into the neighbourhoods... so below are the few pictures I took.... honestly, quite a gloomy day, so i was quite happy to get back on the bus when it finally arrived...


Town of Estoril which is famous for the medieval palace below, the cone shaped towers were its kitchens which contribute to the uniqueness of the palace apparently. But it being Christmas, it was closed and we didn't get to go in. Most people just contented themselves with walking around the nearby narrow cobbled streets and buying typical portuguese gifts (eg. gifts made out of cork). Portugal is the largest producer of cork in the world, and is known for the fine quality of cork produced as well. Our guide was very knowledgeable about cork trees and gave us a whole lecture on it...



Sample of cork from the cork tree, note the different colours on both sides...
Labels:
0 Responses