Lyon (2)

I ate a lot of nice things in Lyon, but unfortunately, I didn't do a very good job in documenting them very well... So alot of things I ate, I remember but I can't show them to you guys. So this is the food post of what I ate out in Lyon...
A typical food I ate in the cafes was this toast with various toppings on it. My personal nickname for it was open sandwich (big-sized). This one we ate in a cafe near Lily's university. Chicken salad topping...

Another kind of topping you can have on a big piece of toast.

French desserts... love them to bits

Vietnamese spring roll snack break in the Asian ghetto area of Lyon, aka the dodgy part of town where drug dealers hang out... of course... can't beat the mafia market in dear old budapest...

French buns with praline. Apparently a Lyonnaise speciality. I ate one of those, it's a very sweet bread baked with nuts in them too!

Lily and Angela, an exchange student from Auckland. Brunch at this cafe where you can order a bread set and they give you a million interesting spreads (eg: pear/plum preserve, praline, chocolate spread)... favourite was the cinnamon crunchy spread.

Had a fuller meal at that cafe: toast with ham, tomoatoes, eggplant and salad...

We were at this travel bookshop and tucked at the back of the store is this tiny cozy cafe which does lunch... Heh.. of course, I only knew of this place because of Lily...

Ordered a hot chocolate and was very intrigued with what they brought me. A big glass of hot milk and a chocolate block.... So you have to put the block into the milk and the milk, being hot, will melt the chocolate and voila... hot chocolate... how novel :P

Some nights we ate home at Lily's place too. Of course, not a very good representation of dinner, coz this is the one and other time we had a frozen quiche for dinner. Most times Lily cooked :)

Typical small pastries which I bought from a place near Lily's place...sooo good...

There was one night Lily organized a dinner out to a Lyonnaise restaurant called the 3 pigs.. (cute name). Met her colleagues there, and it great eating dinner with French speaking teachers coz I could get translations :P Had a 3 course meal starting with salad, mussels and a typical Lyonnaise dessert: prunes stewed in red wine...

It was quite interesting but when I looked around the restaurant I noticed alot of old French men and it seemed that the proportion of men over women was strangely overwhelming. Except for our table... it was just old men...even the service staff were men..


Lily's main dish..

Mine... I dunno why the picture refuses to be horizontal



Lily and I!


Drinks and chocolate at Lily's colleague apartment. Incidentally, this is the place Lily stayed at when she first moved to Lyon..


Lily having a pineapple lump for the first time
Labels:
0 Responses