Travel Hiatus...

Drat. Caught the flu bug from a student, and have been on the low key the past 2 days cooking porridge and just eating down and of course drinking lots of liquids. I confess that I've never really cooked porridge before, so I quickly googled for an easy recipe... So after two straight days of cooking it, I think that I have perfected the recipe for making quick tasty porridge :) Perfect recipe for those Asian kids living overseas who want a touch of home..
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of rice
3 cups of water
3 cups of chicken stock (just drop a cube of chicken stock into 3 cups of boiling water. Dissolves quickly enough in like 30 secs)
Pork mince (you can choose to distribute this in any way you like, just drop it in, or roll into pork balls like I did :))
Spring onions (for garnish)
Salt and pepper to taste.

To cook:
Cook the rice, water and chicken stock on high heat till it comes to a boil. Then lower to the lowest heat and cover and let it simmer for about an hour. Stir occasionally. When lowering to the lowest heat, you can add in the pork mince then and just come back occasionally to the stove to stir it.... When it starts bubbling up in semi-liquid solid form, you know that porridge is about done. Add salt and pepper to taste, but I find that the chicken stock does the trick already most of the time. This makes enough for two huge servings... or maybe 1 1/2 if you're a guy.... but it's a lot nonetheless... don't forget the spring onions!

Hope I get well soon and get to do some more exploring soon! Short trips though this time.... Flu flu go away!!
Labels:
0 Responses