Paris: Part 6: Musee d Orsay...
9:21 PM
The Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, so I was a little disappointed that I would not be able to see the Mona Lisa, but nevermind, the Musee d Orsay is one of the few museums open on tuesday so after Napoleon's tomb, I went... and haha... surprise surprise another queue... I had almost forgotten about it since at Napoleon's tomb, there wasn't a queue at all... But somehow, the queue moved relatively fast and within 45 mins I was inside.

So this is mainly a museum about paintings. But an interesting thing about the Musee d Orsay is that it used to be an old railway station and authorities were thinking of tearing it down but changed their minds and made into the museum that it is today. So the interior of the museum is really something to look at... and if you go further up into the museum you will be able to see the clock from the back too.


Paintings: So obviously I took lots of pictures of paintings and stuff, but I'll just share those which I really liked in this post... which was still a lot after shuffling through.... so if you're not a painting fan.. you could probably go on to the next post altogether..
First pic on the left is Cathedral at Rouen by Monet


Van Gogh has quite a number of paintings here, including his famous self portraits. I did visit the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam and I did prefer that museum because they had better commentary on their audio guide... But anyhow..

Van gogh's Bedroom at Arles

Van gogh's summer harvest series

Van Gogh's starry night

One thing that never stops to amaze me is how comfortable the French are with nudity as seen with the paintings and even how their population dress/sunbathe... Below is Edouard Manet's controversial painting which was first shown in an exhibition of rejected works. The painting is a potrayal of classically nude women enjoying the company of 19th c men in suits.

More nude pictures


Top picture is Dancing at the Moulin de la Galette by Renoir


There was a series of ballerina paintings which I particularly liked, but I'm so sorry I cannot remember the name of the painter...

At the top of the museum there is the Cafe des Hauteurs which looks very posh... and had very mouth watering food. But from the balcony, you also get a good view of the river overlooking the Louvre, even all the way to Sacre Coeur



So turns out that James had been to the Musee d Orsay as well that day. So I asked him oh did you see that Whistler's mom painting! From Mr Bean! Ops... totally exposed my lack of artistic knowledge there. James was so amused when he replied, yes I did, but I knew it because it was Whistler's painting of his mom and not from the Mr Bean movie....

On the second floor there are many random statues about... I just didn't know how to make sense of them... but I liked the one on the right hand side, the one of 4 women holding up a globe...

So this is mainly a museum about paintings. But an interesting thing about the Musee d Orsay is that it used to be an old railway station and authorities were thinking of tearing it down but changed their minds and made into the museum that it is today. So the interior of the museum is really something to look at... and if you go further up into the museum you will be able to see the clock from the back too.

Paintings: So obviously I took lots of pictures of paintings and stuff, but I'll just share those which I really liked in this post... which was still a lot after shuffling through.... so if you're not a painting fan.. you could probably go on to the next post altogether..
First pic on the left is Cathedral at Rouen by Monet


Van Gogh has quite a number of paintings here, including his famous self portraits. I did visit the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam and I did prefer that museum because they had better commentary on their audio guide... But anyhow..

Van gogh's Bedroom at Arles
Van gogh's summer harvest series
Van Gogh's starry night
One thing that never stops to amaze me is how comfortable the French are with nudity as seen with the paintings and even how their population dress/sunbathe... Below is Edouard Manet's controversial painting which was first shown in an exhibition of rejected works. The painting is a potrayal of classically nude women enjoying the company of 19th c men in suits.
More nude pictures
Top picture is Dancing at the Moulin de la Galette by Renoir


There was a series of ballerina paintings which I particularly liked, but I'm so sorry I cannot remember the name of the painter...
At the top of the museum there is the Cafe des Hauteurs which looks very posh... and had very mouth watering food. But from the balcony, you also get a good view of the river overlooking the Louvre, even all the way to Sacre Coeur


So turns out that James had been to the Musee d Orsay as well that day. So I asked him oh did you see that Whistler's mom painting! From Mr Bean! Ops... totally exposed my lack of artistic knowledge there. James was so amused when he replied, yes I did, but I knew it because it was Whistler's painting of his mom and not from the Mr Bean movie....
On the second floor there are many random statues about... I just didn't know how to make sense of them... but I liked the one on the right hand side, the one of 4 women holding up a globe...