Budapest: Sziget 2009


Woo hoo! Sziget, Budapest's biggest music festival of the year. Some of my colleagues are like die hard fans and have been looking forward to this festival since the beginning of the year! For me, i was quite reserved about it, preferring to wait for the line up of artists before making my decision and to be honest, it was a rather disappointing line up. I much preferred the 2008 line up, and the Sopron music festival was a much better one this year. BUT, there was 1 band which I was willing to see and hence the decision to go just for one day so that I could see that band - Snow Patrol. They were scheduled to perform on opening night of the festival on a wednesday night! It was like so sway that coz that was the only day in the week when I had a late afternoon class far out of the city! But luckily my student offered me a ride to the island, but we were still stuck in a jam and I didn't really get there till like evening.
I went with a church friend, who was able to buy tickets online early enough so that we got a bit of a discount, but tickets were still pretty expensive. 10500 forints! (35 euros) but then I was like ok heck it, it's only once a year and it'll prob be my one and only European music festival in a while.... so I went...
We were quite lucky we were able to get very near to the front of the stage. Luckily we did not have to wait long till the screen started flashing Snow Patrol's name and I knew that the concert was starting.... How do I describe it? It's hard. The atmosphere was awesome... imagine standing in a crowd with thousands of other Snow Patrol fans, drinking dancing smoking jumping, and Snow Patrol is an awesome LIVE band.... they performed for over an hour, and all their songs were so good. Off course they did the popular favourites like Run, chasing cars, Crack the shutters, open your eyes.... I enjoyed it soooooo much.....



After Snow Patrol, there was another main stage performance by Lily Allen. She's really new to me... but I did know a couple of her songs, and she sang her own cover of Britney Spear's Womanizer.... but I did her enjoy her song "Fuck you" It was so funny singing the lyrics directly at people pushing at you... haha... great fun...

Found Simone in the crowd! Having beers and palinka shots...

Someone needs a piggy back after 4 hours of standing up...

David and I...

Watching White Lies perform at one of the after parties


Needless to say I got home really early in the morning.... and I don't think i'll be do it again in a while... having to wake up again 3 hours later to go to work is no joke.... getting old liao.. :P
Labels:
0 Responses