Slovenia: Postojna caves and predjama castle


Was a little bit reluctant to blog about this country because I had so much fun here and really loved visiting this country. The people were all so friendly. Almost everyone spoke english, even the old people on the streets. There a couple of people who were even so well travelled that they told me that they had been to Singapore in the 60s~ And mind you before all this, I didn't even know that Slovenia existed as a country. It's so easier to confuse it for its bigger neighbour, Slovakia. But Slovenia is one of the hidden treasures of Europe. Not many people know about it yet, and yet you're happy for it because it prevents it from being one of those tourist bursting cities/countries that pissed you off sometimes because there are just too many tourists around. So after finishing my classes I caught a quick flight to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. When I first saw the plane, I was like OMG... It was like one of those own sea planes type where there are only about like 20 seats and the propellers are visable with cover. The flight there was ok, but the flight back was a different matter...

Anyhow, when I arrived I left for a tour to the Postojna caves and Predjama castle. The castle is strange in the sense that it is built right next to the cliffs, in a rather isolated position. I learnt later on, that this was a point as this castle was used by a Baron who was a notorious soldier. Fans see him as Robin Hood, but I was told by another tour guide that he robbed the poor as well... The castle is built in front of the entrance to the caves in the cliffs which interestingly also lead to the Postojna caves (but the passageways are closed now except to special tours). I was told that it was also a place for the protestants to hide during the reformation period. From inside the caves, one could see that one had a stategic view of the lands and could see easily when the enemy was coming. One reason that made the castle hard to breach was because it was built against the cliff so there was no way in other than the front gate which made it relatively easier to defend.



Bell to warn the peasants that the enemy was coming..

Interior of the castle

In one of the rooms, there was also a secret room whereby people would go in to have a secret discussion if they didn't want anybody to know about it...

Caves directly behind the castle...

Castle produce: wine and honey. Slovenia is apparently known for producing very good honey... and the number of bees I always found flying around the fruits is probably proof of that.

Next stop... on the the Postojna caves. When we first went in, we sat on a railway that took us through a tour of the rock formations before the walking tour began. The railway path was relatively curvy and there were many a time when I felt that I had to duck if not I would be hit by a Stalgamite... it was quite amusing because there was a bunch of high school kids on the train and they all got so excited whenever the train curved and there would be HEAPS OF SHRILL SCREAMING. I was sitting next to an Australian lady and we both laughed the whole time...

Caves exit

The caves are relatively chilly, the temperature is at a constant 8 degree c, so if you were like Emress (below) and didn't bring your jacket and needed to borrow one, you would be given a hobbit like green wollen cloak... which I must say is not the best fashion statement to have....

Whizzing through the tunnels...

One thing to note is that you're not really allowed to take pictures in the caves... but everyone just kept flashing their camera.. so i guess you can say tht I hopped on the bandwagon.


The cave formations were really pretty and they did a good job of lighting them up.... but most of the locals will tell you that the Postojna caves are too touristy and to go to the Skocjan caves instead (which is a UNESCO heritage site too)... and pictures of that to come later.
Labels:
1 Response
  1. TG Says:

    Did you know that Jackie Chan shot a movie at Predjama castle? It was in 1987, the movie was called 'Armour of God' and while shooting it, Chan fell from a tree and nearly died. I guess he won't forget Slovenia -_-

    I see you had tons of fun here. I always liked Postojna cave and the train, was fun. Every schoolkid visits once during the time of study. You really wrote a great review. :)