Geneva- United Nations


Ok, I kinda lied. There is still one more place that I visited in Geneva and this on my last day.... United Nations... ta da! Well, I suppose that Switzerland being such a neutral country and Geneva is basically the city where all the international organizations are, it's almost expected that one should try and see these institutions. For those who know of my "true amibition" would have expected me to pay a visit to the holy grail (sorry, you either know my dream workplace or you don't)... but I didn't. haha. Honestly, I did make an attempt but after looking at how not in the touristy zone it was... and having to navigate the public transport system (despite the free public transport card that tourists get)... I was like nah.... When I go there, I wanna be able to go in....

So back to the United Nations, I had previously been to the one in NY in 2005, so this was like the sister place. So pretty much, I was familiar with the structure and the purpose and pretty much expected the rooms to have the same architecture... but despite all that, they still had some pretty nice rooms:
Diagram of the makeup of the UN. Headquarters is in NY.

Look! I got my very own pass... and I got to keep it too!

United Nations compound is a big conference centre and their biggest conference room (below) can hold up to 2000 people.

Special conference room. The ceiling was decorated by a spanish artist.



One of the more special rooms is the Council chamber with allegorical ceiling murals by Jose Maria Sert.

What is the most interesting part of the tour usually is to look at the various gifts given by the various countries to the UN.

Gift from Germany (I think)

Gift from Thailand

Gift from Burma/Myammar




Intrestingly enough, even the marble stone used in one of the exhibition halls (it's floors) was donated by Finland, Sweden and Italy.


UN grounds: View of Wilson memorial who btw was the founder of the league of nations. Due to security purposes, visitors are not allowed to wander around the grounds.


Labels:
0 Responses