London again: Warwick castle, Oxford, Stratford

As the name suggests, Warwick castle is a medieval castle in Warwick, built by William the Conqueror. From 1088, the castle traditionally belonged the Earl of Warwich and served as a symbol of his power. It was purchased by the Tussands group in 1978 and opened to the public as a tourist attraction. Our guide did warn us that it has been turned into sort of a disneyland for kids, so there are many attraction park activites created just to entertain kids... but I must say that it does give off a very different vibe as compared to Windsor castle...


Entrance to the castle grounds...

A mini knights town is set up in the castle grounds, with extra highlights of place including the castle dungeons... Princesses in the making etc etc. I didn't really partake in much of the commercial. I just checked out the apartments of the castle, wandered around the grounds and climbed up to the top of the defense towers of the castle (that was the highlight for me and I will explain more later.)

Bearing in mind that the estate was purchased by the Madam Tussands group, I wasn't that surprised to find wax figures re-enacting the parties that would have taken place in the castle during the middle ages...

Music room


Ladies Boudoir...

Super scary bear figure holding the mailbox...

Guest bedroom

Dining hall


Private chapel within the castle

Crests of the various families who have occupied Warwick castle depicted on a stain glass window...

The oldest part of the castle was built on the mound below... so that is the starting point for the construction of the castle...


On top of the Mound

View of the castle grounds from the Mound.



Climbing the Defense towers... it's actually like 3 towers all linked together 1 WAY ONLY! 537 steps in total, so once you go up you can't regret and turn around coz there will be people behind you wanting to go up... and these are real defense towers from the middle ages, so they are like super narrow and it's like almost pitch black.... And so steep! Going down was always the hardest coz I always felt dizzy when I stepped back out into the daylight... but it was pretty cool to do that :) The view around the castle was the best from the top of the towers.







This time... going down into the Gaol...

Castle stuff singing medieval melodies at the entrance.... check out the faux dead rats hanging from the drum... I kept staring at it wondering if it was the real thing...

Walking around the grounds....

Walking the birds of prey trainer strut his stuff..



Peacock garden

The trebuchet at Warwick Castle is the largest catapult in the world. It is operated daily.

I even had time to wander around Warwick Village for a bit...


Labels:
0 Responses