Hungary: Estergom, crossing the bridge to Slovakia


The first time I went to Esztergom, it was on a tour bus, and we went straight to the Basilica, so I never really had a chance to explore the town proper. So this time when Aimee asked if I would be interested in tagging along for another trip to Esztergom I jumped at the chance. We took the train this time... and I decided to be arty farty on my camera by taking black and white pictures, but it only lasted half the journey....
From the train station to the main city area, it's like a good 30-40 mins walk. Surprisingly, it was very quiet in the town area, despite it being a saturday. I couldn't help but compare this catholic town to the mosque dominated town of Pecs. For one who has been to both, its interesting to note the two extremes that exist in Hungary, a result of it having been part of the Habsburg and Ottoman empires previously.

The entire town area is dominated by churches and other christian relics.





Quiet Saturday

Bean soup for Lunch... very Hungarian.

Funny Graffiti on the wall...

Pictures of the Basilica from the bottom of the hill.



The group of us who went to Esztergom for the day :)

Aimee and I... travel club revitalized :P

Sneaky pic taken by Sarah, but I like it alot!

Heading down the hill towards the River


Crossing the bridge to Slovakia

Right in the middle of the border between Slovakia and Hungary

The basilica from Slovakia... looks so much nicer from here :)

Having 1 Euro beers at the Slovak "Panda" pub






Weekend market happening in the Slovak city of Sturovo. It's quite obvious that many Hungarians come to this town for weekend trips as well as the people at the bar could speak Hungarian, and we heard alot of Hungarian while walking along the streets. The main difference is that the currency and things seem to be so much cheaper than in Hungary....

Labels:
0 Responses