Parents in Budapest

Well well, so after a trip to Turkey with mom and dad ( pictures coming soon), we came back to Budapest together. They spent a week here, but they left this morning, so I'm on my own again boo hoo :P But it was good being able to spend time with mom and dad, they did so much sightseeing in Budapest that I think that they saw more of the city that I have ever seen in the one week that they were here. However, I did managed to follow them on some of their trips (E.g. Parliament / Estergom)... so here are my thoughts on them..

Parliament

I was really excited to visit the Parliament building. I told my parents that they had to include me on this outing if they decided to go, and haha I guess part of why they went was because I really wanted to go in. I was quite kiasu about it, coz since the apartment which my parents were in was pretty close to the parliament, I asked my father to get tickets early so that we could be guaranteed a spot in the tour.
Inside, the parliament building is really pretty. A good job has been done maintaining it, and you get to see the crown jewels of king matthias. We were also lucky that we got to see the changing of the guard ( which guards the jewels). It's interesting that unlike other countries in Scotland/England, they allow you to take pictures of the crown jewels...

You also get to see the house of commons where the ministers sit and debate political matters. What was interesting (picture, bottom left below), there were also cigarette holders outside the rooms, in which bored ministers could leave their cigars or cigarettes on these holders, remember the number, and when they were bored in the cabinet meetings, they could come out and take back their cigar and continue smoking till they were ready to go back in.... and notice that it's all gold plated as well... what decadence....

Overrall, it was great to be able to see the interior of the parliament. However, do note that tickets were quite expensive, over 3000 forints per person. And the tour was quite short... within half an hour we were back out onto the street, so I didn't think that the price my parents paid for the ticket was worth it, though I enjoyed having the chance to look into the interior...
Szechenyi Baths
My sister was super excited to go to a bath... Me, on the other hand, I couldn't be bothered much. Baths have never really been my thing and even though everyone says that one's experience in Budapest is never complete before going to a bath, I still reserve judgement on that. But anyhow, they went and I'm quite surprised they allowed picture taking at the outside pools... but now you can see what the place looks like :)

Jewish Synagogue: Another one of those places which I wanted to see since I came, but was too bloody expensive for me just because I wasn't an EU citizen... :P But my parents went in (without me... boo hoo coz I had to teach..). Their impressions were that it was a good informative tour, though their feedback was that the guide tended to be too pro-jewish, and less diplomatic in some instances... Although, the building itself is pretty on the inside and outside, and of course, one gets to see the Holocaust memorial (Imre Varga's weeping willow sculpture).


I vaguely remember seeing this sculpture for the first time in a photograph which my Junior College teacher showed to me many years back. I'm not sure if I'm right, because back then I wasn't paying much attention to it, but after I saw this, it looked very familiar to me... so heh... finally I've seen it.. haha..

Last highlight of Budapest trip was the nightcruise, which I was able to take with my father and my sister. It was quite incredible as this was the first time that I have seen the Danube overflow its banks, and enroute to this cruise, we had to walk on make shift planks/bridges and had to go through another boat in order to get to the cruise ship.

Cost of this cruise was like 3600 forints per person and you get two drinks included. But if you managed to get the signature of one of the many promoters out there, it's possible to get a discount, aka they give it to you at student price.... so don't go rushing into the office if you're interested! Budapest does look very nice lighted up at night, so even if you wanna save on the cruise, you should take a walk along the danube, or for the old legs, take the tram 2 as the tracks travel along the Danube..
Labels:
0 Responses