New Home!
11:53 PM
So... I've moved out of my old apartment (which I've been staying since my arrival in Budapest) to a new place. So, for curious readers, the main reason for my decision to move out was because
a). I wanted my own room. In my previous place, I had to share a room, and while I had done so in the states before, I decided that I needed some privacy and I was certain that I could afford to get my own room with my current pay.
b). I knew that my apartment is not very well insulated and winter was going to be a pain for me, so to prevent the freezing/frustrating/unhappy feeling of a cold cold winter, hence the search for a new apartment.
c). Let's face it. I'm an old hag who is not party girl of before. I can't do continuous 4 nights of partying in a row, like some of my office colleagues do. A couple glasses of wine and a couple of koshers... ok.. I'm done for the night. Quiet time for me now. Wake up in the morning to a clean apartment, not suspicious liquids/solids in the corner somewhere.... yep...
So I managed to find this apartment which is owned by this Hungarian lady. It's a 2 bedroom apartment, she stays in one room, I stay in the other. It's much smaller than my previous apartment, but I find that it's big enough for me. No living room, but that's fine. Kitchen is a little small, but I guess for two pple it's not that bad.. Plus, I get to use her kitchen stuff, and she provides other stuff (e.g. iron/vacuum etc)


Moi room... yes! I have a desk now :P And curtains which work...

View from my window: That block of flats I suspect is a condo... it actually has a gated carpark... like seriously...

So, my address is still in the VIII district which I previously wrote that it is very notorious for being a dangerous district (All the poor people and gypsies live here kind of thing). So honestly, when I first came to view this apartment, it was at night and I got lost and I had to call the landlady to come and find me... so at first I was like OMG shitty neighbourhood... but I liked the flat alot, so I went back 3 4 times to walk about the neighbourhood, and I realized that it's actually not too bad. I even talked to my landlady about my concerns. So what's happened in previous years, they have been demolishing many old buildings in the VIII district and building nicer modern buildings in their place.... so they're attempting to make this into the new yuppy district with cobbled pavements and stuff. My flat is a 5-10 min walk from the 4/6 tram station and below are a few pictures of the buildings in my neighbourhood...
The building where I stay at:


New modern buildings near my street on Futo Utca


Just another 5mins from my place in the opposite direction, they're building this new office building/shopping centre at the moment, so quite a bit construction going on in the neighbourhood at the moment, but it does look and feel safe. I often see a lot of young people/young couples walking around and people walking their pets throughout the day as well. Of course, I still get the occasional beggers. Just last monday, while I was walking home from work, I walked past this gypsy mother and her baby pram. As I was walking past her, she suddenly tapped me on the shoulder and asked me for a few forints. I declined immediately and walked away... and that was it... Well, if anything, the poor people here are pretty forward, they will ask for anything, even the remainder of your cigarette they will ask for it (I know this, because this happened to my hungarian friend before and I was with her).
Anyhow, hope this new place works out, and I'll be happy staying here and will not have or be asked to move out, coz let me assure you, moving house is a pain in a butt, especially so if you do not have a car....
a). I wanted my own room. In my previous place, I had to share a room, and while I had done so in the states before, I decided that I needed some privacy and I was certain that I could afford to get my own room with my current pay.
b). I knew that my apartment is not very well insulated and winter was going to be a pain for me, so to prevent the freezing/frustrating/unhappy feeling of a cold cold winter, hence the search for a new apartment.
c). Let's face it. I'm an old hag who is not party girl of before. I can't do continuous 4 nights of partying in a row, like some of my office colleagues do. A couple glasses of wine and a couple of koshers... ok.. I'm done for the night. Quiet time for me now. Wake up in the morning to a clean apartment, not suspicious liquids/solids in the corner somewhere.... yep...
So I managed to find this apartment which is owned by this Hungarian lady. It's a 2 bedroom apartment, she stays in one room, I stay in the other. It's much smaller than my previous apartment, but I find that it's big enough for me. No living room, but that's fine. Kitchen is a little small, but I guess for two pple it's not that bad.. Plus, I get to use her kitchen stuff, and she provides other stuff (e.g. iron/vacuum etc)
Moi room... yes! I have a desk now :P And curtains which work...
View from my window: That block of flats I suspect is a condo... it actually has a gated carpark... like seriously...
So, my address is still in the VIII district which I previously wrote that it is very notorious for being a dangerous district (All the poor people and gypsies live here kind of thing). So honestly, when I first came to view this apartment, it was at night and I got lost and I had to call the landlady to come and find me... so at first I was like OMG shitty neighbourhood... but I liked the flat alot, so I went back 3 4 times to walk about the neighbourhood, and I realized that it's actually not too bad. I even talked to my landlady about my concerns. So what's happened in previous years, they have been demolishing many old buildings in the VIII district and building nicer modern buildings in their place.... so they're attempting to make this into the new yuppy district with cobbled pavements and stuff. My flat is a 5-10 min walk from the 4/6 tram station and below are a few pictures of the buildings in my neighbourhood...
The building where I stay at:
New modern buildings near my street on Futo Utca
Just another 5mins from my place in the opposite direction, they're building this new office building/shopping centre at the moment, so quite a bit construction going on in the neighbourhood at the moment, but it does look and feel safe. I often see a lot of young people/young couples walking around and people walking their pets throughout the day as well. Of course, I still get the occasional beggers. Just last monday, while I was walking home from work, I walked past this gypsy mother and her baby pram. As I was walking past her, she suddenly tapped me on the shoulder and asked me for a few forints. I declined immediately and walked away... and that was it... Well, if anything, the poor people here are pretty forward, they will ask for anything, even the remainder of your cigarette they will ask for it (I know this, because this happened to my hungarian friend before and I was with her).
Anyhow, hope this new place works out, and I'll be happy staying here and will not have or be asked to move out, coz let me assure you, moving house is a pain in a butt, especially so if you do not have a car....