Switzerland: Geneva
5:05 AM
So... while everyone ran to the lakes and the beaches to enjoy the summer weekend, I ran away to the mountains instead :P I pretty much had no expectations for this trip. First time ever to Switzerland and barely read up on it before I boarded the plane. So I was just pretty much planning to bum around. However, things obviously never turn out the way you want them to, though in this instance, it turned out for the better :)
Before going to Geneva, I had previously signed myself up for trips to the neighbouring Swiss Towns, including a day trip to Charmonix and Mont Blanc in the French region, so pretty much I had two days to explore the city of Geneva. Before, I kept thinking that Geneva was pretty much a modern city, not much history in it, but during my stay there, I did learn a few interesting facts about it....
a. The story Frankerstein was written in Geneva by Mary Shelley!
b. Empress Sisi of the Habsburg empire was murdered in Geneva.. (isn't it nice when you visit two different cities and you can actually piece history together>)
c. Geneva is the second greenest city in Europe after London (which has Hyde Park)
d. CERN labs, based in Geneva, developed the world wide web
e. Swiss have the Reformation to thank for chasing all the smart watch makers (artisans from France) into geneva where they continued their trade and made Switzerland into one of the top quality watch making countries today.
Another point which I particularly liked was how Geneva -> Geneve -> Genevieve (HAHA!). I swear, there were a couple of times when I walking around the street and I mixed up the french pronounciation of Geneva with my name!!
So... I arrived into Geneva on an evening flight from Budapest. Rather late actually, so by the time I managed to figure out the way to the hostel it was nearly midnight, and I just quickly staggered into my hostel room and slept. The best part, my hostel roommates were Hungarian. How ironic was that.... In the 4 nights that I spent in the hostel, I share the room with Hungarians, Spanish and Koreans... I got on particularly well with the Spanish girls, despite our lack of mutual language for communication... it was quite funny, 3 of us trying to describe our day's adventures to each other in the room, one of the girls scanning through her english dictionary constantly, me trying to remember all those simple spanish phrases I learnt many years ago... (eh.. "comprehendo!!" ...." Si loci!!" "Mi Nombres..." "Comos es tas..." ) God, it was so funny, and in the end we exchanged contacts coz I found out that they were from Madrid, and I mentioned that I was planning to visit that place when i had the time towards the end of the year... haha...
Anyhow, my first day proper in Geneva, I woke up pretty early (must be all those early classes training my body) and I walked to the tourist office as I had researched and knew that the office offered a walking tour. We had a wonderful guide, very patient and like freakin tri-lingual (Now, I shall officially bow down to the Swiss, as everyone I've met seems to the trilingual in the very least... like OMFG). I really think that part of my wonderful experience in Geneva was because the Swiss are such polite, friendly and open minded people!! Everyone is always smiling and saying hello and goodbye. Geneva being so close to France (and being part of France before,) French is the main language in this canton. I don't know French. Not at all... but even so, it wasn't a problem communicating! And how easy it was to pick up the simple phrases like Bonjour... Merci...S'il vous plait... It's always a good idea to greet someone in French first and then switch to English... that little bit of respect goes a long way... I do think... and here is where that I officially fell in love with the French language... it's such a polite and endearing language... just hearing the waiters say Merci S'il vous plait to me was enough... (like can I just die on the spot now!!!!)
Ok, I could obvously write forever about my slight infatuation with French... but moving on now... and to the pictures... which are always the highlight of every post I think...
Stuff I saw/learnt during my walking tour..
The famous Jet d'eau... the icon of geneva which rises to a height of 140m

The swiss are all about quality and they certainly know how to display their products well too!!!! Just looking at these products through the window made me want to go it and splurge 50 franc on a box of well made chocolates.... though I must confess I bought a very tiny box for myself on the last day... and it was utterly divine...

The private banking institutions have their origins from the Reformation when the calvinists needed loans/institutions to keep their money and having none available to them, set up their own.... Private banks also mean that you need to have a minimum of 1 million bucks to set up an account there... like in another lifetime for me man...

The one distinctive thing about Geneva architecture is that it's all very simple and plain, most probably a reflection of the reformation movement of the time... You find that the buildings have simple designs (though their engineering feats are another matter) and not at all overly "dramatic" as some might notice in the baroque styles. But there are a few exceptions: First picture from the left is the oldest remaining Geneve wall... much of the city was destroyed in many fires centuries back and that is the oldest wall. The second one is the rare example of an Italian architectural style with open verandas...while the other photos are typical buildings you find in Geneva..

Geneva is a little bit like Auckland, but steeper I imagine... so there is a downtown and the upper streets. The old town of Geneva is located in the upper streets, but it lovely being able to walk through the cobbled streets (and check out the funny restaurant names at the same time). One finds that the Swiss are a rather patriotic bunch, not only to their country, but also to their respective cantons.. which is evident due to the flags all around...

Downtown area: aka the shopping district

Street art..

First picture: Plaque commemorating the birthplace of Rousseau, more famously known as the philosopher whose ideals were important to the French revolution. He was Genovese... though not very well liked in his town because of his equality ideas
Second pic: Geneva two council house. That flag is the Geneve canton flag. Half of the flag is an eagle from the Habsburg monarchy and the other half is a key, symbolic of St Paul. Old folk's tales will say that the bird is a chicken and the key is the key to the wine cellar.
third picture: Rochemont... famous guy who set/created the neutral states/mandates of Switzerland which successfully kept it out of both World Wars.

The grey building with the tower is the oldest building in Geneva

The longest wooden bench in the world is in Geneva and yes it's in the guiness book of records..

Town hall: Where the Geneva convention was signed and created...

The city cathedral: used to be a catholic church but was converted to a calvinist church during the reformation. The columns were added to make it look more like a temple. I can't really remember this, but one of the words (French or something) for church was really temple... hence the design... I need to be corrected on this... Anyhow, there is also an archaeological museum beneath it which shows the stones used for the construction of the church from the middle ages as well as some graves/coffins.


Interior of the church. The acoustics of the church are really really good. Our guide demonstrated for us in the chapel, and when he sang, his voice really reflected back down and was like wow...

From the right, is the pulpit and chair when Calvin preached and sat. Left is the choir box whereby pple in those days paid to sing in the choir and hence the choir seats were also custom made to fit the person's body perfectly... hence some may have bigger seats than others because of their big butts..

Place de Bourg- de - Four... lovely place in the old town area, which is highly recommended if anyone ever happens to be in this city and looking for a place to eat.... lovely area to sit outside and have a nice meal... I ate at this place at Chez ma cuisine wher for 15 francs, I got roast chicken, bread, wedges, and salad... naturally I couldn't finish everything and left the place stuffed.

After lunch, I walked over to the Parc de Bastions to see the famous Reformation wall.... but there was some kind of festival going on and they boarded up the place... but I had my ways of snapping a picture or two :P

Giant chess games in the Parc de Bastions

When i saw the flowerclocks in Scotland and Disneyland... I was like wow.... that must be one of a kind... but honestly... Switzerland is obsessed with flower clocks... I made this remark to my tour guide in Lausanne and she agreed with me.... Almost every city will have a beautiful clock in the park...
Before going to Geneva, I had previously signed myself up for trips to the neighbouring Swiss Towns, including a day trip to Charmonix and Mont Blanc in the French region, so pretty much I had two days to explore the city of Geneva. Before, I kept thinking that Geneva was pretty much a modern city, not much history in it, but during my stay there, I did learn a few interesting facts about it....
a. The story Frankerstein was written in Geneva by Mary Shelley!
b. Empress Sisi of the Habsburg empire was murdered in Geneva.. (isn't it nice when you visit two different cities and you can actually piece history together>)
c. Geneva is the second greenest city in Europe after London (which has Hyde Park)
d. CERN labs, based in Geneva, developed the world wide web
e. Swiss have the Reformation to thank for chasing all the smart watch makers (artisans from France) into geneva where they continued their trade and made Switzerland into one of the top quality watch making countries today.
Another point which I particularly liked was how Geneva -> Geneve -> Genevieve (HAHA!). I swear, there were a couple of times when I walking around the street and I mixed up the french pronounciation of Geneva with my name!!
So... I arrived into Geneva on an evening flight from Budapest. Rather late actually, so by the time I managed to figure out the way to the hostel it was nearly midnight, and I just quickly staggered into my hostel room and slept. The best part, my hostel roommates were Hungarian. How ironic was that.... In the 4 nights that I spent in the hostel, I share the room with Hungarians, Spanish and Koreans... I got on particularly well with the Spanish girls, despite our lack of mutual language for communication... it was quite funny, 3 of us trying to describe our day's adventures to each other in the room, one of the girls scanning through her english dictionary constantly, me trying to remember all those simple spanish phrases I learnt many years ago... (eh.. "comprehendo!!" ...." Si loci!!" "Mi Nombres..." "Comos es tas..." ) God, it was so funny, and in the end we exchanged contacts coz I found out that they were from Madrid, and I mentioned that I was planning to visit that place when i had the time towards the end of the year... haha...
Anyhow, my first day proper in Geneva, I woke up pretty early (must be all those early classes training my body) and I walked to the tourist office as I had researched and knew that the office offered a walking tour. We had a wonderful guide, very patient and like freakin tri-lingual (Now, I shall officially bow down to the Swiss, as everyone I've met seems to the trilingual in the very least... like OMFG). I really think that part of my wonderful experience in Geneva was because the Swiss are such polite, friendly and open minded people!! Everyone is always smiling and saying hello and goodbye. Geneva being so close to France (and being part of France before,) French is the main language in this canton. I don't know French. Not at all... but even so, it wasn't a problem communicating! And how easy it was to pick up the simple phrases like Bonjour... Merci...S'il vous plait... It's always a good idea to greet someone in French first and then switch to English... that little bit of respect goes a long way... I do think... and here is where that I officially fell in love with the French language... it's such a polite and endearing language... just hearing the waiters say Merci S'il vous plait to me was enough... (like can I just die on the spot now!!!!)
Ok, I could obvously write forever about my slight infatuation with French... but moving on now... and to the pictures... which are always the highlight of every post I think...
Stuff I saw/learnt during my walking tour..
The famous Jet d'eau... the icon of geneva which rises to a height of 140m

The swiss are all about quality and they certainly know how to display their products well too!!!! Just looking at these products through the window made me want to go it and splurge 50 franc on a box of well made chocolates.... though I must confess I bought a very tiny box for myself on the last day... and it was utterly divine...

The private banking institutions have their origins from the Reformation when the calvinists needed loans/institutions to keep their money and having none available to them, set up their own.... Private banks also mean that you need to have a minimum of 1 million bucks to set up an account there... like in another lifetime for me man...

The one distinctive thing about Geneva architecture is that it's all very simple and plain, most probably a reflection of the reformation movement of the time... You find that the buildings have simple designs (though their engineering feats are another matter) and not at all overly "dramatic" as some might notice in the baroque styles. But there are a few exceptions: First picture from the left is the oldest remaining Geneve wall... much of the city was destroyed in many fires centuries back and that is the oldest wall. The second one is the rare example of an Italian architectural style with open verandas...while the other photos are typical buildings you find in Geneva..

Geneva is a little bit like Auckland, but steeper I imagine... so there is a downtown and the upper streets. The old town of Geneva is located in the upper streets, but it lovely being able to walk through the cobbled streets (and check out the funny restaurant names at the same time). One finds that the Swiss are a rather patriotic bunch, not only to their country, but also to their respective cantons.. which is evident due to the flags all around...

Downtown area: aka the shopping district

Street art..
First picture: Plaque commemorating the birthplace of Rousseau, more famously known as the philosopher whose ideals were important to the French revolution. He was Genovese... though not very well liked in his town because of his equality ideas
Second pic: Geneva two council house. That flag is the Geneve canton flag. Half of the flag is an eagle from the Habsburg monarchy and the other half is a key, symbolic of St Paul. Old folk's tales will say that the bird is a chicken and the key is the key to the wine cellar.
third picture: Rochemont... famous guy who set/created the neutral states/mandates of Switzerland which successfully kept it out of both World Wars.

The grey building with the tower is the oldest building in Geneva
The longest wooden bench in the world is in Geneva and yes it's in the guiness book of records..

Town hall: Where the Geneva convention was signed and created...
The city cathedral: used to be a catholic church but was converted to a calvinist church during the reformation. The columns were added to make it look more like a temple. I can't really remember this, but one of the words (French or something) for church was really temple... hence the design... I need to be corrected on this... Anyhow, there is also an archaeological museum beneath it which shows the stones used for the construction of the church from the middle ages as well as some graves/coffins.

Interior of the church. The acoustics of the church are really really good. Our guide demonstrated for us in the chapel, and when he sang, his voice really reflected back down and was like wow...

From the right, is the pulpit and chair when Calvin preached and sat. Left is the choir box whereby pple in those days paid to sing in the choir and hence the choir seats were also custom made to fit the person's body perfectly... hence some may have bigger seats than others because of their big butts..

Place de Bourg- de - Four... lovely place in the old town area, which is highly recommended if anyone ever happens to be in this city and looking for a place to eat.... lovely area to sit outside and have a nice meal... I ate at this place at Chez ma cuisine wher for 15 francs, I got roast chicken, bread, wedges, and salad... naturally I couldn't finish everything and left the place stuffed.

After lunch, I walked over to the Parc de Bastions to see the famous Reformation wall.... but there was some kind of festival going on and they boarded up the place... but I had my ways of snapping a picture or two :P

Giant chess games in the Parc de Bastions

When i saw the flowerclocks in Scotland and Disneyland... I was like wow.... that must be one of a kind... but honestly... Switzerland is obsessed with flower clocks... I made this remark to my tour guide in Lausanne and she agreed with me.... Almost every city will have a beautiful clock in the park...
is this your secret getaway that you were telling me about in your email? heheh
btw i got my visa dy! yay! and i'll be leaving at the end of august :)