According to wikipedia, Túró Rudi (English: "Cottage Cheese Rudy") is the name of a chocolate bar popular in Hungary since the 1960s. The bar is composed of a thin outer coating of chocolate and an inner filling of túró.
Ever since I started teaching, this is one of the local delights that all of my students have insisted that I try. While all of them claim that it is Turo is cottage cheese, the foreigners that I have spoken to (aka my colleagues) have disputed that translation.
Nevertheless, I was actually quite blind when it came down to hunting for it. My students kept telling me that it could be found in the dairy section of any supermarket, but try as I might, I could never really see it whenever I went grocery shopping. TILL one day I went to class, and one of my students had actually bought Turo Rudi and all its different variations for me (wah... 好感动 you know...) I think he was quite excited and insisted that I try one during class, so hence there are only 3 instead of the 4 he bought for me in this pic.
So the top one is the original bar, with just cottage cheese covered with chocolate. The second one has hazelnut chocolate in it and the third has strawberry filling in the middle of the bar. I quite like the hazelnut one, so I guess its my favourite.
Frommers guide book actually called it a healthy snack.... but a snack consisting of cheese, chocolate and lots of sugar? I don't think so.... I mean... how much milk is there in cottage cheese... really...
But its really tasty and sweet... surprisingly, it is only a hit in Hungary. You can't find it anywhere out of the country... so definitely one of those delights that have remained local and unexported throughout the years. Definitely worth a try for anyone in Hungary...