The story of Vac

The original plan was to go to Vac about two weeks back. But the night before, there was this big party and everyone overslept (kinda expected) the next morning. So, I was quite disappointed that time, plus the fact that I had told everyone, and some of my students that I was going to go to Vac. So imagine how I had to tell everyone who asked that I didn't make it to Vac after all that weekend. One of my students was so sweet. He told me that if I did go to Vac I had to go to this dessert shop which was owned by this famous Hungarian pastry chefs who had won awards overseas. And he actually printed out the map of the town and the address of the shop for me! I was caught off guard, coz I usually take whatever my students offer at face value, but he actually did something for me, so it was a nice surprise. So I was quite determined this weekend to go to Vac, even if by myself just to see the town and pay a visit to that shop. So last friday I met up with Aimee and James to buy tickets to Vienna and after that, I told them I was going to go to Vac... good thing Aimee was free and feeling adventurous too, so off we went!

So just a little info about Vac. Very easy to get to this town from Budapest. Return tickets from Nyugati station (located in city centre) (See pic) cost 1050 forints (approx $8 Sing) and the trip takes no longer than 45 mins. Many trains leave the station for Vac, but they take different routes. When we went, we didn't manage to catch a direct train (25 mins), but I didn't mind the 40 min journey so much as it took us past the other towns enroute. There's a legend associated with the name of the town, but I won't go into that as anyone could easily look it up in any tourist guidebook. So pictures are posted below, and I'll comment as we go along...
Almost all the trains have graffiti painted all over them! It's like someone snuck into the railway yard at dark and started spraying all over... it looks kinda cool... but something I definitely wouldn't dream of finding back home.
We bought snacks to munch on the train ride...and me reading up on Vac so that I would know where to go... haha..


Arriving at Vac... felt kind lost when we first stepped down... usual instinct is follow the crowd and that's what we did!

The main square in the town. It was a lovely day! I actually was comfortable walking around in just my tank top and shirt. And I needed my sunnies too! The square is very pretty, and obviously much better kept and seems to be much cleaner and neater too!


This is the White Friar's Church, which was build in the 18th Century in baroque-rocco style. The inside was really pretty even though we could only view it through the glass doors. What was extra special about this church is that a secret crypt with several mummies were actually found beneath the church in 1995 during some renovation works. The mummies are available for viewing in this museum called Memento Mori. It was a tad expensive in my opinion, 1000ft, but it was quite cool to actually look at the coffins and the burial rituals several centuries back. We weren't allowed to take any photos, but when the lady initially opened the door to the crypt, Aimee and I were a bit apprehensive because from above it looks like this descent into this scary basement and the ceiling was so low, I actually had to stoop while climbing down into the crypt. One thing that particularly striked me when viewing the crypt was the number of infant coffins that were found, which is probably an indication of the survival rate of infants back in the days. Was a little scary seeing a baby corpse... but those were the times I guess...

This is the Andras Chazar Education Institute for Deaf Mutes, the first school of its kind in Hungary, established in 1802.

The Palace of the Great Provost, a medieval house that was rebuilt in baroque style in the second half of the 18th Century.
My continued fascination with this country's obsession with statues :P

The Dessert shop!!! I purposely went to the tourist office to find out where the store was on the map, and turns out it was right on the square. True to form, it did not disappoint. I was so excited I ordered two cakes, the Dobos cake (a hungarian dessert, which was also recommended by my student) and a mandarin flavoured mousse.
The address of the cafe is:
Desszert Szalon
2600 Vac, Koztarsasag ut. 21
Tel: (20) 390 3367
Open: Tues - Sun, 10am to 7pm.
Waitresses speak some english, so not to worry.



St Hedwig: The patron saint of the Danube and Vac is at the heart of it.

The Franciscan Church

The triumphal Arch, the oldest baroque arch in Europe outside of France.

It was alot of walking for a day! We even went down to the promenade and strolled by the Danube where we saw people kayak along the river.
There is actually alot more to see in this town, which we were not able to cover, because it can be a long walk especially if you do not drive... and we were quite exhuasted after just seeing the sights around the square. I think this makes for a good day trip, and there seems to be much more to see and do in comparison to Szentendre. And of course, what better way to end the hot day by having a few beers in the middle of the square and watching tourists walk down the streets... haha...
Labels:
0 Responses