Hungary Pecs (2)

Second day of exploring the city: St Peter's cathedral and Bishop's palace. This is probably the most notable church in the city of Pecs. I was lucky to be able to be able to attend a hungarian mass in this church on sunday morning (by fluke of being in the right place at the right time). The church inside is very pretty and very nicely decorated, but because I was there during mass times, I didnt take any pictures while people were praying, but do take my word for it!


Intricate carving of the church gates.

St Istvan ter

There was some kind of antique car exhibition that morning after mass... just jumping on the band wagon here...

Nearby the church, I also got to see original castle walls (Barbican Turret)... you can also climb up to get a glimpse of the city through its narrow stone windows...

Ruins of the Turkish Memi Basha's Baths


There is actually another smaller mosque in Pecs, but unlike its bigger counterpart, this one actually still has its minaret. Today, it is a museum and it documents the Turkish occupation of Pecs (All in Hungarian)


Despite having been converted into a catholic church in 1714, the interior still looks very much like a mosque with the prayer niche and the calligraphy mostly intact, includeding the prayer stand and the separate praying areas for males and females.


Labels:
0 Responses