Gen needs a free hug
6:58 PM
I'm still supposed to be uploading my pictures from my UK trip, but I'm afraid that it will have to wait as the internet at my house has been down for a week and a half. I am so certain that it's because my landlord has embezzled the internet money we paid him and is trying to play dumb about it.
I think that this is the first week since I've been here that I've been so frustrated that I am this close to hating the city and almost wishing that I had never come. According to the culture shock cycle, I would as of right now probably be in the negotiation phrase. First of all, of course the internet at my apartment has been totally non-existent, like really slow dial up speed. As a result, it has been hard to pass the hours, hard to communicate with my friends and family, and hard to do my work efficiently. When you spent half the day running around the city teaching people in different areas, it is not always convenient to pop by the office and spend a few hours.
Secondly, it has been a mad rush trying to get my resident permit so that I can staying beyond my 90 days in this country. This is the part which I've spoken about before about AIESEC, about how they have not been very organized with helping me process my visa (compared to what they promised when they try to lure you over..) Anyhow, long story short. My first buddy lasted for like 45 days, and during this time she didn't tell me anything that I needed to prepare for my visa. Then she quit and I only found when I accidentally bumped into her at Nyugati train stop. I expected to be contacted immediately about my new buddy... but none... After 1 week, I couldn't wait so I contacted the ICX coordinator.. then he replies me... (I have a sneaky feeling he didn't realize I was buddyless till I contacted him). Thank god though, that my second buddy has been so fantastic and responsible... but there been a bit of irritation on her part and mine as well that because we only knew each other when I was nearly past my 60th day in Budapest, it's been like a race against time for us to get my papers ready for immigration. She had to chase AIESEC, I had to chase the people on my side.... And that's not the end. Yesterday, we went down to the Hungarian immigration office, and it was my first taste of how the government actually works (the exact opposite of Singapore). But anyhow, guess what, the lady at the counter rejected my insurance because she said that it does not prove that I would get covered if I got injured in hungary and I should get insurance from a Hungarian company. I tried to show her that the contract states that I get coverage WORLDWIDE... and not only did she refuse to believe me, she even said to her colleagues in front of me in Hungarian (of course, like she'd have the guts to say it to my face in English) that she was trying to be "kind to me" but I was being rude to her... wtf. I know this because my buddy translated to me later on outside the office. So this whole process has been really really frustrating... and I don't know how many times this week I've used this word to describe myself.
I've been asked to do a video for my LC back home about my internship, my difficulties and how I'm enjoying myself right now... but to be honest... I can't really think of a positive thing at the moment. I haven't seen the light of the day yet! You know what I mean?
There's been so many times this week, that I was so tempted to just whine to one of my close friends or my family members... it's just crazy... I just keep telling myself "ren" (alas... I can't type chinese on a foreign computer... damn it!)
I think that this is the first week since I've been here that I've been so frustrated that I am this close to hating the city and almost wishing that I had never come. According to the culture shock cycle, I would as of right now probably be in the negotiation phrase. First of all, of course the internet at my apartment has been totally non-existent, like really slow dial up speed. As a result, it has been hard to pass the hours, hard to communicate with my friends and family, and hard to do my work efficiently. When you spent half the day running around the city teaching people in different areas, it is not always convenient to pop by the office and spend a few hours.
Secondly, it has been a mad rush trying to get my resident permit so that I can staying beyond my 90 days in this country. This is the part which I've spoken about before about AIESEC, about how they have not been very organized with helping me process my visa (compared to what they promised when they try to lure you over..) Anyhow, long story short. My first buddy lasted for like 45 days, and during this time she didn't tell me anything that I needed to prepare for my visa. Then she quit and I only found when I accidentally bumped into her at Nyugati train stop. I expected to be contacted immediately about my new buddy... but none... After 1 week, I couldn't wait so I contacted the ICX coordinator.. then he replies me... (I have a sneaky feeling he didn't realize I was buddyless till I contacted him). Thank god though, that my second buddy has been so fantastic and responsible... but there been a bit of irritation on her part and mine as well that because we only knew each other when I was nearly past my 60th day in Budapest, it's been like a race against time for us to get my papers ready for immigration. She had to chase AIESEC, I had to chase the people on my side.... And that's not the end. Yesterday, we went down to the Hungarian immigration office, and it was my first taste of how the government actually works (the exact opposite of Singapore). But anyhow, guess what, the lady at the counter rejected my insurance because she said that it does not prove that I would get covered if I got injured in hungary and I should get insurance from a Hungarian company. I tried to show her that the contract states that I get coverage WORLDWIDE... and not only did she refuse to believe me, she even said to her colleagues in front of me in Hungarian (of course, like she'd have the guts to say it to my face in English) that she was trying to be "kind to me" but I was being rude to her... wtf. I know this because my buddy translated to me later on outside the office. So this whole process has been really really frustrating... and I don't know how many times this week I've used this word to describe myself.
I've been asked to do a video for my LC back home about my internship, my difficulties and how I'm enjoying myself right now... but to be honest... I can't really think of a positive thing at the moment. I haven't seen the light of the day yet! You know what I mean?
There's been so many times this week, that I was so tempted to just whine to one of my close friends or my family members... it's just crazy... I just keep telling myself "ren" (alas... I can't type chinese on a foreign computer... damn it!)
hey girl, I hope things are looking up for you now....like you said..'ren'...i'm sure you'll come out tougher out of all these experiences/challenges...take care k
oh ya..forgot something...*HUGS*
:)